Matchbook Story Contest
We’re now accepting entries for our 2nd annual Matchbook Short Story Contest. Contest closes at midnight on November 1st— the winner will be announced on December 15th.
1. Entries may be on any subject in any genre (including poetry)
2. Each entry must be the original work of the submitting author
3. Stories must fit within the print area of a matchbook: w 1-5/16” h 1-4/16,” There is no definite word count limit, but a good gauge is that 7 pt font size fits approximately 50 words—your story should be 35-50 words long (final formatting will completed by The Library Shop). A printable template is available here.
4. Entry fee is $5.00 per story, authors can submit up to 5 stories
5. Entries can be submitted online or in the store, but please note that physical copies cannot be returned
6. All Entries must be paid for and submitted by 11:59 pm November 1st, 2018
1st Place Prize: $50 gift certificate to the Library Shop, 50 copies of the printed Matchbook Story, publication in the SDPL Library Connections e-newsletter and Library Shop website, and exhibition in the Hervey Family Rare Book Room in the Central Library @ Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common
2nd Place Prize: $25 gift certificate to the Library Shop and publication on the Library Shop Website
3rd Place Prize: $15 gift certificate to the Library Shop and publication on the Library Shop Website
The Fine Print
The matchbook story will be printed for sale by the Library Shop, a non-profit organization supporting the San Diego Public Library. You will retain the rights to your story, however, by entering the contest you grant the Library Shop and contest affiliates a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to publish and sell reproductions of your story in full both in print and online, and to display your full name and story in connection to the contest winner. Good luck!
Entry form and fee for the Matchbook Short Story Contest. Once added to your shopping cart, complete your submission by paying the entry fee at check out. Writers can submit multiple entries in 2 ways:
1- Click "Submit A Story" and fill out contest pop-up form with first story (click "submit a story" a second time to add it to your cart). Then repeat as desired, up to 5 times.
2- Before clicking "Submit A Story" change the quantity to desired number of submissions, then fill out the contest pop-up form with all submissions in one window -- making sure to clearly delineate space between each entry. (click "submit a story" a second time to add it to your cart).
All stories must fit on the inside of a standard matchbook cover 1-5/16" x 1-4/16"
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 619.236.5802